Monday, June 13, 2011

"Having Smoked all my cigarettes during my morning workout..."

Clearly the above is a Carry Bradshaw comment. Sex and the City is slowly (or quickly) becoming a photograph of a bygone era, during which I think I was fantasizing about dying my hair purple, and running around Park Slop before it gentrified. But I digress before I even begin. You'll have to blame the nostalgia; I'm a nonsmoker. I hear it kills you.

A few topics to address. First, the morning workout. I will be heading out to the west coast, specifically Santa Monica, to spend 27 days, from 6 am to 6pm, doing yoga, and somehow, I don't think they welcome smoking in the studio. I'll return to New York to join the thousands of certified yoga instructors. I originally planned to go to the training for ME, but now I want to teach too. I think I have a good eye for people hurts and pains, and how to make them better. Before and after, I will be traveling to Seattle, San Francisco, and San Diego.

I have finally been been coerced, flattered and convinced that there is value in my writing beyond the mere vanity of "having a blog." Thanks guys. Which leads to an interesting point. This blog, my pretend Time Out New York column, is rooted in New York. It's called Localizing. I suppose I could have called it "Going Native," though my parents are from Brooklyn and Queens. So the question... how do I write a blog about becoming a local during a period as a nomad and tourist? I think it's not possible; the focus will shift into an analysis of my destinations and road-stops as a psuedo new yorker would see them: the pros, the cons, and the anomalies.

Stay tuned kids, there's more where this came from. Anyone have a light?

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are writing. Inspirational. Motivational. Perspirational. It's hot where I am.

    ReplyDelete